At Northern Marine we are committed to a policy of conserving the environment, adopting the latest environmental standards and going beyond what is required by regulations and legislation.
In 2000 we were one of the first shipping companies to implement and achieve ISO14001: 2000 Standard for Environmental Management Systems, which was updated in 2004 to ISO14001: 2004.
The Environmental Management System involves identifying environmental aspects which could possibly cause environmental impact (such as waste management, vendor awareness, exhaust gas emissions, ballast water management, VOC Emissions) and putting control measures in place to minimise the impact.
In 2003 we achieved compliance with the Green Award which certifies ships that are extra clean and extra safe.
We received DNV Triple-E certification for a number of our vessels in December 2010. A vessel with a Triple-E rating demonstrates active environmental management and energy efficient transportation of goods, which has been verified by an independent third party.
Our commitment is to:
- Never breach environmental pollution standards
- Strictly follow and maintain international and local environmental regulations
and where possible implement in advance of regulation
We work actively to:
- Reduce the use and disposal of hazardous material
- Reduce garbage and improve waste management
- Improve heat recovery systems
- Ensure environmentally sound ship recycling
- Decrease emissions through efficient energy management
Find out more about our commitment towards energy management.